Search for an event
- Fri 4 October - Sun 13 October 2013
- Houghton le Spring View on map
Houghton Feast brings a mix of family fun, heritage, music and a fair to Houghton.
Houghton Feast takes place this year from 4 to 13 October
The ancient festival is steeped in tradition and has been running since the 12th Century as a two-day fair, which was extended to ten days in 1967. The ten-day festival will take place in various locations across Houghton-le-Spring and will combine a unique mix of traditional and modern activities that will bring together performances from community, voluntary and professionally staged events.
Highlights from the programme include:
- Launch night which kicks off at The Broadway on Friday October 4th at 6.15pm featuring live entertainment, a funfair, illuminations switch on and a firework finale.
- Saturday's Carnival Parade takes place at 2pm
- Monday the 'Roasting of the Ox' starts at 4pm followed by the Firework Spectacular at 7pm.
This year also sees the introduction of a singer songwriting competition sponsored by Houghton Rotary Club and judged by Frankie and the Heartstrings alongside Dave Murray of the NE Youth Music Programme. For your chance to hear your song on the radio, played at the launch of the feast and £250 in prize money, click here to find out more!